CIAO’s definition of ‘coaching’
By coaching CIAO means helping someone find their own way to change what they want, working to the following five principles:
- Working as equals to help clients identify the best approach for them − clients know their own lives better than anyone else.
- Working to an agenda set by the client.
- Helping clients move forward by asking questions, rather than answering them.
- Giving no advice nor any direction nor pass on requests – coaches reflect, but do not direct.
- Challenging, as well as supporting.